On 4/17/15, MPP released the final draft of their 2016 marijuana regulation initiative to the media, prior to releasing the draft to the Arizona marijuana community. Later that same afternoon, MPP held a Press Conference at the Arizona Secretary of State’s Office to announce that they had just officially filed their marijuana regulation initiative. The […]
On 04/09/15, the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) released the nearly final draft of their 2016 Arizona Marijuana Regulation Initiative. You can read the proposed initiative in it’s entirety here: MPP AZ Draft 4.9.15 In an email sent out on 04/09/15, MPP’s attorney Heather Azzi said; If you catch any mistakes or have any feedback for […]
After the newly formed group Arizonans for Responsible Legalization (ARL) announced their intention to run a competing marijuana initiative against MPP, the Director of MPP, Rob Kampia, sent out an email to the ARL and (somehow the Arizona marijuana activist groups) to address the issue. In his email to Gina, Rob goes on to say; […]
In a bizarre twist; A group of medical marijuana dispensary owners who were previously working WITH MPP to draft a marijuana legalization initiative, have now announced that they are filing a competing marijuana legalization initiative against MPP! The new group is calling themselves Arizonans for Responsible Legalization (ARL), and the Chairperson is Gina Berman of […]
Earlier this week, the Marijuana Policy Project proposed their “Final Draft” for Arizona’s 2016 Initiative to Tax and Regulate Marijuana.
However, this “final draft” was rejected by the Arizona Dispensary Association and we are now waiting on the next draft to be released by MPP.
While there is no official date of when the Final Draft will be released, it is expected to be quite soon as MPP hopes to file the initiative by March.
Some important changes were made in the recent draft, but there must be more done to include decriminalization of other marijuana offenses beyond possession of 1 Ounce and 6 plants.
Crucial Points of Marijuana Legalization in Arizona
In the best interest of Arizona’s marijuana users and their families, we assert that these 12 crucial aspects of legalization MUST be included in Arizona’s 2016 Marijuana Legalization initiative.
1) Decriminalization – Marijuana Program Violations must be designated as Misdemeanors, and not Felonies.
2) Concentrated forms of Marijuana must be made legal by clear, non-ambiguous language.
3) All adults in Arizona must be permitted to grow 12 plants. (No 25 Mile Rule)
4) In addition to the “Allowable amount of Marijuana”, an adult must be allowed to possess any amount of marijuana at the residence where the person’s plants are being grown.
5) “Displaying” marijuana needs to be added to the list of allowable acts.
6) There must be an employee protection provision which prevents employers from firing or discriminating against an employee solely based on their legal use of marijuana.
7) There must be provisions that protect marijuana users against landlord discrimination.
8) There must be provisions that prevent property owners from being prosecuted or having property seized for leasing or renting to a marijuana establishment.
9) The law must allow Cities and Counties to enact reasonable zoning regulations, but not allow Cities and Counties to regulate personal use and personal cultivation.
10) There must be provisions to deny CPS the authority to remove a child from their home based solely on a parent’s legal use or cultivation of marijuana or based solely on a newborn child testing positive for marijuana.
11) There must be provisions to allow for the sale and production of “Industrial Hemp”.
12) A person shall not be found guilty of DUI or driving under the influence of marijuana solely based on the presence of active or inactive metabolites or components of marijuana that appear in the persons system.
If, like us, you insist that these aspects be included in YOUR Marijuana Legalization initiative, please support our cause by becoming a member of our association!